The Groveport Community Garden was conceived in the summer of 2011 by a small group of residents. The garden opened in the spring of 2012 and includes fertile soil, perimeter fencing (made possible by a $2,500 grant from the Columbus and Franklin County Community Grant Program), water, compost bins and signage.
The mission of the Groveport Community Garden is to build community and improve people's quality of life through the following objectives: encourage self-reliance by enabling participants an opportunity to grow their own nutritional fruit and vegetables; enable participants an opportunity to exercise, recreate and educate; foster community spirit through socialization; foster continual learning through sharing of ideas, gardening workshops and school involvement; enable participants to share resources (e.g., tools, gardening techniques, manpower, etc.); encourage participants to reconnect with nature and "go green"; assist those in need. The City and Committee hope that through consistent and constant promotion, education and cooperation amongst residents, businesses and local organizations, our objectives will be met.
Number of Plots
- The Community Garden contains 39 plots.
Size of Each Plot
- Each plot is approximately 100 square feet.
- Groveport Residents and persons that participated in the previous year, may register beginning February 1 of the current year. If plots are available, Non-Residents may register beginning March 1 of the current year. Groups (such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Churches, Civic Associations) may also participate.
- Planting will begin in early April. The garden will close at 5:00 PM on November 1.
- Each gardener is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their plot during the season. Tilling, soil development, watering, weeding, harvesting, etc., are all the responsibility of the gardener.
- The Community Garden is located in Heritage Park at 551 Wirt Road.
- Contact the Groveport Recreation Center at 614-836-1000.