Lifeguard Certification Classes 2022
THE GROVEPORT RECREATION DEPARTMENT IS STILL OFFERING THE AMERICAN RED CROSS LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION CLASSES. INTERESTED PERSONS CAN START THE CLASS ONLINE. IN-WATER SKILL PORTIONS OF THE CLASS WILL BE SCHEDULED AT THE RECREATION CENTER. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT Kelsey Valine (AQUATICS MANAGER) AT email@example.com.
Are you at least 15 years of age? Good swimmer? Enjoy working around people? If so, you should consider getting your lifeguard certification and becoming a lifeguard with the Groveport Recreation Department. Questions should be directed to Kelsey Valine (Aquatics Manager) at 614-836-1000 x1504 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To participate in this course you must be: 15 years of age by the last scheduled day of the course
We are now hiring:
Click here to apply!
Why become a lifeguard with us?
- Work at our award winning pools.
- Receive a free membership to the Groveport Recreation Center and use the outdoor water park at no cost.
- Your immediate family members are eligible to receive the resident rate for memberships.
- Get your Lifeguard Certification Class fees reimbursed (certain criteria required).
- Free re-certification.
- Receive free staff uniforms, including bathing suit.
- We offer flexible scheduling.
- Provide amazing public service and get paid to do it.
- Stay fit and get fit.
- Work with like-minded people.
- Gain a skill that will come in handy the rest of your life.
- Work outside during the summer months.
- It’s challenging both mentally & physically
- Build your resume
- It’s fun
|Class Dates:||Class Times:||Registration Opens/Closes:||Cost:|
|December 26th - December 30th||4:00pm - 8:00pm||November 28th - December 19th||$60 non-member, $50 member|
|January 9th - January 13th||4:00pm - 8:00pm||December 12th - January 2nd||$60 non-member, $50 member|
|February 6th - February 10th||4:00pm - 8:00pm||January 9th - January 30th||$60 non-member, $50 member|
Free Skills Training Available:
Our staff will help you prepare for the Lifeguarding Class. These sessions are NOT mandatory, but are meant to provide you with an opportunity to learn and practice the Lifeguard Pre-Requisites with our staff.
1. Be at least 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
2. Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
4. Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
▪ Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
▪ Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
▪ Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
▪ Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.